Thursday, March 19, 2009

Week #5. Can you believe it?


It was 5 weeks ago that we landed in KO and met Ryan. At times, it feels like we've been here for a dog's age, other times it's like we just got here. We've noticed that Ryan has made so much progress and we couldn't be happier. His newest interest is throwing a little plastic soccer ball to one of us and then we kick it back to him. He grabs it & starts all over again. Yesterday we "played soccer" for about half an hour.


We bought the cutest little Roots shirt back home for Ryan to wear on the flight to Wpg, because it says Roots Canada on it. Of course, it's too small in the neck & he was NOT happy when we tried to put it on. I'm thinking of cutting the sides on the neckhole (is this a word?) because it'll be so appropriate for him to wear it when we arrive.


My uncle Michael has been transfering his old 35mm snapshots to digital recently. He e-mailed us a photo today of me & my mom. I must have been 2 or 3 years old in the picture and I'm holding on to her the very same way Ryan holds on to us. Lyle & I couldn't believe our eyes! In fact, I even think Ryan looks a little like me when I was a kid. I know all parents say that, but he really resembles both Lyle & me. We all have the same dark eyes and long eyelashes.


This weekend is the Asian new year (March 22). It refers to the equal hours of day & night so it sounds like it has to do with the equinox. This is a major, major holiday, even more important than Women's Day. Luckily we still get to see Ryan on the 22nd but our playroom is being used for a concert on Friday, so we do have to miss one day. So, with a whole day ahead of us, we're planning to go for lunch & shopping (we sound like the ol' folks who go to the Bay on Saturdays & lunch in the Paddlewheel first).


So, that's it for now. We are still enjoying our time here, visiting with our friends, laughing & loving Ryan more than we can ever describe.

3 comments:

Lisa B said...

Hi

Just wanted to let you know we're still out there following the adventure!

Lisa Grant and Mitch

Jo said...

So you have a little soccer player. Another holiday... take advantage and celebrate ...you might get another chocolat bar!

Irene said...

I can't believe how 5 weeks have past and you all have come so far. I think of you often and check your blog daily. I can't express how happy I am for all 3 of you.