Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's a S'Mall World

Today we made our biweekly trip to S'Mall. This time we noticed they have a huge, inflatable bouncy boat for kids to play on while their parents shop. I think Ryan's way too little for such fun. We'll see if we'll even make the trip back once we have him.

Ryan was lots of fun this morning. We only got to spend an hour and a half with him, instead of two full hours because the playroom was going to be in use most of the day. He tried numerous times to remove my fleece jacket. I'm not sure why he didn't care for it, it's one of my favourites. We can't believe how much babbling is going on. We love watching his mouth form the sounds. He has such a buttery-soft little voice (Lyle's description).

We finally went to the local museum, just down the street from our apartment. It has a great collection of artificats pertaining to the region's history. There was a display about the Aral Sea, which over the last 30-40 years has completely dried up. There was a section about the town of Baykonur where all kinds of rocket launches take place and of course an area devoted to local athletes, including Ilya, the gold medalist in weightlifting from the 2008 Olympics.

We had lunch at the cafeteria inside Kazakhstan Tire (Ak Nhet). The locals call that going for "fast food" because they serve pizza & hamburgers. It's not quite what we'd consider McDonald's because it was fresh, homemade food. Very reasonable too.

By the way, that mosquito bite reliever we bought has been a lifesaver. Not sure what exactly it is, but it works. Maybe we'll bring some back for mosquito season at home.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I got to see how KO looks like on CBC as you might have heard that L is doing a documentary of her journey. If you didn't get to see any of it send me a personal email and I'll send the link to you. Where are you at with the appeal period? Is it almost over. I'm glad to hear your spirits are still up and that you still enjoy each other's company... you make a great team and now you'll have a little one to run after on the track. I'm glad to hear you've been training for your biggest marathon.

Lisa said...

Hi Jo,
I am Darcy's sister; Lisa. Darcy and Lyle have told me a little bit about you. I wanted to let you know that they were the ones who sent me the link on the L documentary and not to worry, because they have not experienced anything like she had.
Thanks for your offer to them.