Monday, March 9, 2009

Tidbits

Some funny stories have happened to us along the way that we either forget to include in our blog or took a backseat to Ryan stories. I thought I'd send some your way.

First off, our visit with Ryan yesterday was, of course, heaven. Turns out he's not as terrified of balloons as we first thought. Either Lyle or Ainur would bat one towards him & since I was holding him, I'd use his head to bat it back, gently. Sounds mean of me, but he liked it & you really had to be there.

Some days he babbles more than others. Yesterday we're sure he said "OK" and he also shook his head a few times. Both were coincidences, I'm sure.

Now for the funny tidbits: When we first moved into the apartment we had warm water that over the next couple of days turned into cold, cold water. So showering was quite the elaborate production involving the handheld showerhead, a kettle and lots of running to the kitchen & back (we don't want to disclose too many details). We asked Vera if the lack of hot water was normal. She laughed & flipped a switch in our bathroom that turns on the hot water tank. The funny part was we did notice the switch on Day 1. There's no way we would have turned it on ourselves because we thought we might be cutting power off to the whole city.

Our internet access wasn't available for the first 3 weeks. It's dial-up and Vera gave us at least 4 different phone numbers to try. None of them worked. Turns out the problem was with our landline. She finally asked us to try calling our cell phone from the apartment phone. When that didn't work, she was able to get the problem fixed. Guess which dial-up number ended up working? That's right, the first one.

The first time Lyle & I went to the market cafe it was about 10:00. There were a few other customers sitting around. Their drink of choice? Shots of straight vodka, right from the bottle. Lyle's going to start doing this back home. He'll take out a flask in Tim's. Do you think the staff would be OK with this? Maybe if he orders a Bagel B.E.L.T they'll turn a blind eye.

More to come...

1 comment:

Jo said...

Nothing like roughing it! I can only imagine what your washing strategies might have been... too funny! I had the same trouble but didn't have a little switch to turn on. I did have a phone line put in so I could make home calls and dial-up too. I hope you'll be more comfortable now. It's back to winter again with temperatures down to
-35C once again... dont' come home yet... I'll let you know when the geese come back! P.S vodka won't be cheap like borsht back home.